Thursday 16 July 2015

One week I've been here.....


.....and I found a job!  I'm working as a promotor for a Bar Crawl company, it's commission only and while I may not make mega bucks it's a start.  I'll be meeting loads of great people, it will fund me for a while out here, I can learn the language etc, this basically gives me a foundation for creating a life for myself out here.

Some of this was written on Tuesday and some was written on Thursday evening.

Okay so what did I spend the week doing?  I've not really done much touristy stuff, doing a lot of walking around but it is hot, I don't think a day has been below 30 and there has been no rain.  Hard for you to be reading this as I believe it's been raining a lot in the UK?

Everything over here is just amazing.  I love the streets, the architecture, the marina, the statues, the different nationalities of people.  Go to the beach in the day time, spend a bit of time gawping at Gaudi's works of art and then in the evening go to a bar and get pissed.

I spent two hours on Sunday evening in a bar called Cheers talking to a Scouse bloke, he was over with his misses who was from Blackpool.

I've left the first hostel I was staying in and I'm now in a new hostel, it's bigger and more well known.  I preferred the old hostel if I'm honest, no-one seems to talk to each other here as much although there are one or two that make the effort.

Tuesday I had my job "interview". It wasn't that really.  I'm working as a promoter trying to sell a bar crawl to people.  It's hard, you have to keep going, again and again and again despite the rejection after rejection.

I'll find something better and more permanent soon but for now this will do.

I went along on Tuesday night after the promise of a pool party at the end.

I got into the first bar where everyone meets and got talking to some people.  We left the first bar and were on our way to the second when a sweet innocent voice from behind me said "where are we?"  

I turned and replied "On La Rambla".

As I turned I saw a sweet innocent face to match the voice.  

I got talking to her only to find out that she was 20 years old, from Holland and here by herself.  Not just on the bar crawl by herself but actually in Barcelona by herself.  

Knowing what kind of car crash night we were in for I took it upon myself to look after her.  As we made our way around all the different bars and talking with her extensively I wondered to myself why on earth is such a bright and intelligent young woman out here on one of these nights where you're encouraged to chuck as much alcohol down your throat as possible?

We both watched open jawed as we saw people with a long tube in their mouth funnelling beer down their throats.  Literally the other end of the tube was connected to a funnel and beer was being poured in.  Obviously you weren't allowed to take your mouth away until it had all gone.  And this is what I now do for a job.

Shortly after we saw this we left, we never made it to the pool party.  We were both tired so I offered to walk her back to her hostel.  We she said that wasn't necessary I said that if I didn't do it and my dad had found out that I hadn't he would beat the shit out of me.  A slight lie but I needed to let her know that I wasn't taking no for an answer.

I walked her back to her hostel and we agreed to meet up the following day so that I could take her to see the sights.  

We met at 11am.  First I took her to the Sagrada Familia, an obvious must, but as we'd both seen it and there was a long queue we didn't bother going in.

Next up was mount Tibidabo, it's a journey of metro, tram and funicular.  Then once you're at the pretend top there are stairs, then a lift, then many many more stairs.  Then you're like "oh, I finally made it to the top" only to find out there are more stairs.

But once you do make it to the real top the view of Barcelona below is simply breathtaking.

"You were right, it was worth it" she told me.

After this we went back to La Rambla and got a bite to eat, I had a Macdonalds while she had some fruit.  By now it was 3pm, we'd both had little sleep and had walked up about one billion steps.  We knew we wanted to do something together in the evening so we decided to spend a few hours maybe having a sleep or whatever and meet back at 7:30pm.

We did just this and in the evening went to visit the Olympic Stadium and Mount Juic.  Again simply breathtaking views.

Back to La Rambla for some pizza and we went our separate ways.  She flew home on Thursday and I went to start my job signing people up for voluntary alcohol poisoning.

This is my life now, people passing in and out saying goodbye before I've had a chance to say hello.

Hopefully I've made a friend for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment