Saturday 4 February 2017

What is racism? Or, in this case, if you want to call it what it is then it's xenophobia?

This afternoon I went to an Irish bar in Barcelona to watch England in the rugby against the French.

Most of the people in there were Catalan, French, Irish, Scottish, Spanish or Welsh, basically they were against the English.

I was one of three, maybe four English fans in there and of those other fans I was the loudest throughout.

If France scored a point there were loud cheers from everyone, if England scored my cries of "Come On England" drowned out any applause from anyone else.

I stayed for a few pints after the game, not one person came up to me to say anything.

I would have expected one or people to perhaps say "good game mate, well done" as I did when England lost to Wales in the World Cup fifteen months ago.

Before the game Ireland lost to Scotland. Did the Irish fans say to well done to their Scottish counterparts after their defeat?

Why do I get treated differently just because I support England?

Everyone wanted us to lose. A few people did talk to me during the game but once the result was delivered, nada.

Doesn't it say something about my character that I was happy to stay very loudly throughout in the bar and take whatever result that was delivered.

To be honest right now I'm a little unhappy that we won because had we of lost at least I could say I was happy to be there and congratulate the victors whatever.

There was a guy wearing a French Rugby shirt who would have got my congratulations had they have won. As they didn't there was nothing I could say.

I'm just a bit fed up with being victimised just because I'm an Englishman that happens to believe in a United Ireland, Independence for Scotland and and whatever the majority of the Welsh want but I respect their right for their language to be taught in their schools for it it to be their "national", if that's what they want, language.

But when it comes to England versus ....... then, as an Englishman, I enact my right to support England.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment