Tuesday 25 August 2015

When's it going to be my turn?

Remember that Irish bar I told you that I nearly got a job in last week?  I went back on Friday and the boss was showing a new guy around, he looked English.  This was 48 hours after telling me that they weren't hiring for another month.  I don't know if they already had that guy lined up, I mean 48 hours is a quick turn around for a job, isn't it? I'm going back in there today or tomorrow to ask the guy what is happening.

In my last blog I spoke about an opportunity that if it works will be amazing and possibly beyond my wildest dreams.  Reporting on FC Barcelona.  I may also be doing pitchside photography of the matches.  That would be ideal because I should have no problem selling these pictures on to agencies/newspapers.

Yesterday the former player Pedro who left last week to join Chelsea returned to Barcelona to "say goodbye" to team mates, fans and the media.  Had I have known I would have tried to go. I'm not sure if they would have managed to sort my press accreditation in time but I would have liked to have tried.  All the players turned up, had I gone I could have probably made enough money to have a comfortable life here for a few months.  

Newspapers prefer working direct with the photographer rather than an agency as they can make specific requests.  I have my copy of the Freelance Photographers Handbook with me so if the press accreditation gets sorted for this Saturday's home game against Malaga and I can take pictures I'll be emailing every British based newspaper this week asking if they would need pictures and if they have any specific requests.

There's pros and cons to it though, if I sell pictures through an agency then I can make money every time they sell it to another publication or website.  If I build up a relationship with a single publication they'll guarantee payment for the pictures I provide, however if I wait it out and get lucky enough to get the best picture they all want then jackpot as it will always continue to be used and sold on.  I think most photographers work like this.  When you see a big story everyone seems to carry the same picture if it's the ideal picture for the story.  If it is the ideal picture then it wouldn't do it just to just be stuck on one publication.

Imagine being lucky enough to get the best picture of the winning goal and then sending it off in time to make a few of the early editions?  If I did that it would give me enough money to live here for a few months, I'd live cheaply obviously so it should last quite a while.

It wouldn't need to end there either.  There are magazines, try the postcards route again, maybe get them in a few shops.  A few weeks ago I might have been accused of being a fantasist for thinking this is a possibility but it could soon be a reality.

I wrote a match report for Sunday's game away at Bilbao, it's here if anyone wants to read it - http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/160813/athletic-bilbao-0-1-barcelona-barcelona-avenge-spanish-super-cup-defeat/

There's also a bit of a call for photo journalists, everyone sadly has a camera these days so it's easy to snap a story.  If you're in the right place at the right time even someone with a camera phone can make a bit of money.  As much as we celebrate the leap in technology it makes it increasingly harder for a professional photographer to make it. Yet this is a field I'm looking to move into?  Now do people understand why I chose football.

However there are still commissions from agencies that want to guarantee a picture to go with a story so you can still make a living.  You just need to communicate with the right people.

I've always had a knack of somehow being in the right place at the right time when it comes to taking pictures of famous people so I believe this can be something that I need to keep plugging away at and eventually it will come good.

I've not given up hope, I'm still plugging away.  You'll be pleased to know last night I splashed out on a pizza, Dominos is just around the corner from me.  It was tasty and I still have some left.

Oh and a few weeks ago I met a Japanese guy who had never heard of Transformers.  Who weird is that, I thought everyone knew about Transformers!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about selling on photographs to agencies etc. but I'm sure some overseas outlets would be interested in certain photos.

    If you get into the next game, plenty of Venezuelan outlets will be seeking photographs of Malaga's Roberto Rosales and Juanpi. Whether or not they'd pay or if they already use different agencies, I have no idea.

    @DarrenSpherical

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely something to think about. I'll be giving this a go. Cheers mate

    ReplyDelete